Rev. Jim Toole
Why Spiritual Formation?
Greg Ogden in the book Discipleship Essentials describes a disciple as one who responds in faith and obedience to the gracious call to follow Jesus Christ. Being a disciple is a lifelong process of dying to self while allowing Jesus Christ to come alive in us.
Discipleship is meant to be a way of life!
Theme: We as individuals will grow in discipleship in direct relationship to how much we allow Christ to permeate all of our life!
So this morning I want to highlight five markers or habits that Richard Foster prescribes to help us take on the life of Jesus—to become followers of Jesus—and as a result to be transformed from the inside out. These biblical strands of discipleship throughout church history have been highlighted in the book by Richard Foster, Streams of Living Water.
- A Prayer-Filled Life: Our heart’s steady attention on God
- A Virtuous Life: Responding with integrity
- A Spirit-Empowered Life: Fueling our lives from the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
- A Compassionate Life: Extending compassion in every sphere of life
- A Word-Centered Life: Living the life-giving message
It will not be good enough to see discipleship done an hour here or an hour there. A healthy life of discipleship is where we start to integrate and permeate our lives with the habits of a Prayer Filled Life, Obedient Life, Spirit Empowered Life, Compassionate Life and a Word Centered Life. It becomes a beautiful woven chord of Spiritual healthy habits in our lives.