Rev. Dr. Jim Toole
Ephesians Sermon Series
Theme: Paul is saying that we the followers of Christ must shed our old self and put on a new self of Christ.
So what does the New Nature look like?
In verses 25-32 Paul gives very concrete examples of how to clothe yourself with the New Nature of Christ. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list; rather it is introducing to the new believers of Ephesus that there is a different way to live our lives as followers of Christ.
1. 1. (25) So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another.
2. (26) Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.
3. 3. (29) Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up.
4. 4. (32) And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.
I ask you to reflect on the one person who has illustrated the nature of Christ to you the most using the measurements of this text.
· Who has spoken truth to you?
· Who has worked through any hiccups in your relationship with you?
· Who has been an encourager through words and actions?
· Who has been kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving?
Once you discover who that person is reflect on them and then reflect on how you can practically live like they live. What would it look like for you to put on the new self of Christ?