Run with the Horses
Rev. Dr. Jim Toole
We live in a culture that often promotes short cuts, quick fixes, and the value of being comfortable. Perseverance is an important value that sometimes gets missed these days.
Theme: What we learn from observing the life of Jeremiah is perseverance is a key to living faithfully.
Perseverance: the quality that allows someone to continue trying to do something even though it is difficult.
There are two things we learn about perseverance from the life of Jeremiah.
1. When we are faithful to God, it does not mean that all will be right on this side of the Kingdom.
2. It is important to wrestle with God in the midst of difficulty.
Jeremiah lived a tough life – from a human perspective. But he persevered, and even in his wrestling with God he developed a deep and profound prayer life. God is saying to you and me, “I have plans for you. I have a purpose for you. It will be tough but no matter what you face I will be with you.” Perseverance is not about success, it is about faithfulness. God will see you through.
1. Why do we still experience difficulty even though we are faithful to God?2. Besides Jeremiah, who else in the Bible faced hardship in the midst of faithfulness?
3. What are some scriptural references about perseverance?
4. Describe a time in your own life you have related to Jeremiah?