Rev. Jim Toole
1 Samuel 16:4-13
Fruits of the Spirit: Who Am I Becoming
PATIENCE - WAITING
Dictionary Definition of Patience - the ability to accept delay, suffering, or annoyance without complaining or becoming angry
One of the common exhortations of the Bible is the call to “wait on the Lord.” Even though God promises special blessing for waiting, waiting is just downright hard. It is often in our waiting we think God has abandoned us when in reality God is right there with us deepening us.
Theme: I want to argue this morning that in our waiting, spiritual maturity is
Here are a few Essential Factors in Waiting on the Lord we see in Scripture.
- Waiting Necessitates the Passage of Time
- Waiting Involves an Expectation Based on Knowledge and Trust
- Waiting Also Involves Seeking the Lord
The key to patience is knowing in our heart that God is faithful and then seeking God by taking small steps of faithfulness and obedience.
Questions for reflection:
1. What are you waiting on?
2. Do you have confidence in God’s faithfulness to you? Do you wait with expectation?
3. How are you seeking God? or are you taking matters in your own hands? or are you waiting passively?
4. What is your next step of faithfulness in your waiting?