Run with the Horses
Rev. Dr. Jim Toole
“The Powerful River of Prayer”
Quick review of what we learned from Jeremiah:
· God has set us aside for purpose and meaning.
· We looked at the warning of taking God for granted.
· Last week, we talked about perseverance.
Today we are going to look at Jeremiah’s prayer life.
In Eugene Peterson’s book, Running with the Horses, he ponders the question what was Jeremiah really like? What did he do when he was alone? We really have no idea, but what we do know is that Jeremiah was a person of prayer.
Theme: Prayer is the path to Renewal
Definition of renewal: The state of being made new, fresh, or strong again. (Webster)
Prayer can lead us to renewal in three ways:
1. “Unceasing Prayer”
2. “Listening Prayer”
3. “Prayer of Letting Go”
If a waterfall represents renewal, then prayer is the powerful river that leads to the new fresh wonder of God in our lives.
Questions for Reflection:
1. What do we learn about prayer from Jeremiah?
2. Describe moments that you have experienced renewal in your life. What led up to those moments?
3. What are some ways you pray that refresh you?