Rev. Dr. Jim Toole
Our sermon series for Advent is based on the work of Alan Hirsch and Michael Frost in their book, Re-Jesus. In their opinion there is nothing more important for our church today than to recalibrate Christianity on the person, teachings and impact of Jesus.
Images of Jesus through the Centuries – Pelikan
- The Rabbi - Early New Testament Period
- The King of Kings – Constantine
- The Christ Crucified - Middle Ages
- The Monk - Monasticism
- The Universal Man - Renaissance Period
- The Common Sense - Enlightenment
- The Liberator - Both 19th & 20th Centuries
- Man Who Belongs to the World - 21st Century
What is most helpful perhaps is seeing that Jesus is all the above.
During Advent this year, I want to challenge us to deconstruct how we may have domesticated our image of Christ. Our sermon series, Recalibrate Christmas is about doing a broad character study of who Jesus really is.
Theme for Advent: Set Jesus free in your life.
Jesus is not tame. Jesus is God incarnate that has power over the natural world and the spiritual world.
What would it look for you this Holiday Season to allow Jesus to do a rebirth in you?
What would it look like for you to build this Holiday season on the foundation of setting Jesus free in your life?